Monday, July 21, 2008

My Last Post?

Wow! It´s amazing to think that this will probably be my last post from Peru. Only three more days in Cuzco and then I´m off for my 32 hour trip home!

I´ve been feeling a lot better and have been able to sleep through the night the past two evenings.

On Friday, Katie and I brought the markers and coloring books that had been in the care package. The girls absolutely loved coloring the pictures and enjoyed trying to recognize what Bible stories were happening in the pictures. Every few minutes one of them would shout ¨Jesús!¨ and point excitedly at her picture. The pictures also had captions on them in English and I had an interesting time trying to translate them into Spanish.





On Saturday, Katie, Natalie, James and I all went to go visit Qoricancha. Qoricancha used to be an Incan temple that was coverted into a Catholic church when the Spanish conquered the area. It was very interesting to walk around but I was really impressed by the gardens outside of the museum. I realized that it had been a really long time since I had seen any flowers and felt some homesickness for my Dad´s yard at home.


The Incan portion
And the Spanish addition
My artsy photo

While in the Amazon, Katie and I met an Irish priest who lives and works in Qoricancha.

The main courtyard

Me, Natalie, and Katie waiting for James´ friend, Chris. While we were sitting here we saw two guys get arrested. Pretty exciting!

On Sunday, Katie and I decided to walk around the city and ended up at one of our favorite markets, El Molino. Sunday night, our house went on an adventure to look for corn to make popcorn and after trying six or seven different stores we finally found one that had what we were looking for!

El Molino

I don´t have anything too exciting planned for the rest of the week. The next couple of days I´m going to visit my favorite places in Cuzco and make sure that all of my things are packed up. Wednesday night, my house and some other friends are going to Katie and my favorite restaurant in Cuzco and Thursday night will be time to say good bye to Yoni, Wendy, and everyone else in our house.

Friday morning, Katie and I need to be at the airport at 6am and we fly to Lima at 7:55. The flight is a little more than an hour and we´ll be arriving in Lima around 9:20. We´ll probably be spending the day hanging out in the Lima airport (where there is a Papa Johns and Starbucks!) and we fly out at 10:50pm. We fly to Newark Airport and arrive around 7 in the morning. From there, I´ll be leaving for Milwaukee a few hours later and finally arriving home.

Well, this is probably it unless something really exciting happens in the next few days. Thanks to everyone who has read this and sent me messages and comments. They´ve all been really helpful, especially while I was sick. If anyone wants to see more pictures when I get back, let me know because I will definitely want to show them to you!

Thanks again for all of your prayers and support. See you in a few days!



3 comments:

Caitlin said...

yay! bethy comes home soon!
do you realize it's been almost six months since i've seen you?
SIX MONTHS! not acceptable ...

i'm excited to see you!!!

Becky said...

Hi Beth! I'm back home now but am so excited to catch up on your blog and read about your adventures in Peru. I hope that you have had a great time the past couple of months. Hopefully we can catch up in person if you're ever traveling through Chicago. Safe travels back home, and hugs to Yoni and Wendy for me!

aleifnilsen said...

OK, I have to ask. What is the name of your favorite restaurant in Cusco?