Thursday, June 19, 2008

Orphanage Updates...

I realized today that I haven´t written too much about what is going on at the orphange so I thought I would write an update on what we have been up to the past few days.


On Tuesday, I brought a 64 box of crayons that my Mom had gotten the girls. The girls went absolutely crazy and had a great time coloring. There weren´t too many fights over colors and Heidi and I made sure that none of the girls were hoarding the colors. As always, it was hard to get across the idea that we had to share the crayons with everyone but they eventually started to understand and work better together. Perhaps it was a step in the right direction. I returned home that evening with a whole stack of beautiful artwork that I will be bringing home to share.

This is what happens when you give away crayons:

Yesterday, we played the girls favorite outdoor game, Pesca Pesca. It is a lot like Freeze Tag except you play as a team and there are safe bases. A lot of fun and very tiring (for the volunteers, not the girls!). It´s always interesting playing a game with the girls because they are very easily distracted and will suddenly drift away to an activity that looks more interesting.


After our game of Pesca Pesca dissolved, I headed to the back building, which is used as a study hall. I helped one of the girls with her homework (thinking of nouns... tough stuff!) and we had a good time arguing about how to spell my name. None of the girls believe me that it is spelt Beth and try to spell it various other ways, including Baz and Paz.

Our usual duties at the orphanage are just playing with the girls or helping with homework, when necessary. Most of the time the girls know how to do their homework but just need someone sitting with them making sure they stay on task and get finished. As for playing, the girls love to color and run around outside.


In general, things at the orphanage are going well. The girls are always excited to see us and love the one on one attention we are able to offer. I want to work with them on how to share their toys and take care of the toys that they do have. If anyone has any ideas on how to accomplish these goals please let me know.

More later...

No comments: