Thursday, June 5, 2008

Weather Report

I realized this morning that I haven´t written about the weather here yet. During the day it is sunny, in the 70s or 80s as long as you are in the sun and out of the shade. This is my favorite time of the day.

But once the sun starts setting the temperature cools off rapidly. At night it is very very cold, maybe in the 40s but perhaps colder. I don´t think that our house has heat, at least I haven´t seen any evidence of a heater yet, so it´s kind of like camping but in a house. Last night I slept in three pairs of socks, sweatpants, a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, and a sweatshirt with the hood pulled over my head. I was under four blankets and I was still freezing. I guess June is the coldest month in Peru...

Not much else to report. Yesterday, Heidi and I ventured into the market by our house to look around. It became less intimidating the longer we were there but I wish I would have had my camera along to take a picture. I bought a ¨Puma¨ backpack, gloves, and five DVDs for 15 dollars... not bad.

I´m going to go explore the city this afternoon before going to the orphanage and hopefully will soak in a enough sunlight to keep me warm through the night.

More later...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beth

This is Josh TeBeest. I know we haven't talked in ages, but I just saw you were in Peru on FB and wanted to let you know that I spent 3 weeks there over January. We spent most of our time in the Cuzco/Sacred Valley area. I really loved it there!!!

Make sure you take some time to get to Machu Picchu. It really is one of the 7 wonders of the world!!!

I'm not realy sure what you are doing there, but it sounds like you are learning more Spanish and working at an orphanage. Peru is definitely a third world country, even in Lima. So I think it's great that you are volunteering!!

If you are cold, go pick up some clothes made from alpaca. It's similar to wool, but warmer. I believe there's a fairly cheap artisan mall near the fountain at the tail of the "puma." Ask one of your friends if you have questions on that one.

Shoot me an email anytime about anything(jtebeest@carthage.edu). I was there for credit, and had to do journals and papers on the trip. I feel like I'm fairly knowledgable, and I speak English!!(always a bonus) ;) And I have a Frommer's book, which was a godsend.

Enjoy your time!!!

Joshua